It is described in this article how to delete an address from Microsoft Outlook’s autocomplete list in versions 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010 of the software. Separately, it contains instructions for using Outlook 2007 and Outlook Online, respectively.
- Removing a Name or Email Address from the Outlook Autocomplete List
- Remove the Outlook Autocomplete List of All Addresses from your computer.
- Stop Outlook 2007 From Suggesting Recipients
- Remove a certain address from the autocomplete list in Outlook.com.
Removing a Name or Email Address from the Outlook Autocomplete List
In the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes of an email message, Outlook stores all of the addresses you enter. Following that, when you enter the first few letters of a name or email address, Outlook suggests contacts who fit your search criteria. Remove any things in Outlook that have been mistyped or old contacts that you do not want to see in the autocomplete list by selecting them and clicking Remove from autocomplete list.
Using the following procedures, you can delete a single contact from your autocomplete list:
- Start by creating a new email message in your inbox.
- In the To section, enter the name or email address that you want to remove from the list. As you type in the contact information, the autocomplete list provides the matches that are currently available.
- Select the entry in the list that you wish to delete by pressing the Down Arrow key.
- Select Delete from the drop-down menu (the X to the right of the contact’s name). As an alternative, you can use the Delete key.
Remove the Outlook Autocomplete List of All Addresses from your computer
In Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010, the following commands will remove all entries from the autocomplete list:
- Go to the File menu and select the File tab.
- Select Options from the drop-down menu.
- In the Outlook Options dialog box, select the Mail category from the drop-down menu.
- In the Send messages section, select Empty Auto-Complete List from the drop-down menu.
- Select Yes in the confirmation dialog box.
- To turn off the autocomplete list and prevent Outlook from suggesting recipients while you type in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines, uncheck the Use Auto-Complete List to propose names while entering names in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines check box in the Outlook Options dialog box.
- To close the Outlook Options dialog box, press the OK button once more.
Stop Outlook 2007 From Suggesting Recipients
Using these instructions, you can turn off the autocomplete list in Outlook 2007.
- Select Tools > Options from the menu bar.
- Select an e-mail delivery method.
- From the drop-down menu, select Advanced E-mail Options from the list.
- Uncheck the option labelled Suggest names while filling out the To, Cc and Bcc fields on the next page.
- Press the OK button to confirm your action.
Remove a certain address from the autocomplete list in Outlook.com
The autocomplete suggestions in Outlook.com are derived from a variety of different sources. If you don’t want a contact’s email address to appear in the autocomplete list, simply delete the contact’s entry.
- From the View Switcher, select the People option.
- From the autocomplete list, choose the contact that contains the email address you wish to remove from the list of contacts.
- Select Edit from the drop-down menu.
- Remove any addresses that are no longer valid or undesirable.
- Click on the Save button.
- The contact has been removed from the list of autocomplete contacts in Outlook.com.