In this article, we describe how to block emails from any sender in Gmail. You can either block specific senders or use filters to create a block list.
How to Block Email From a Sender in Gmail
To add a sender to your Gmail’s list of blocked senders and ensure that their messages are automatically routed to the Spam folder:
- Open a message from the sender whose message you’d like to block.
- Click More (the three vertical dots in the message’s header next to the Reply button).
- From the drop-down menu, select Block sender.
While you will not be able to block messages from certain senders (such as Google), you can still use the instructions below to create a rule to block these senders.
- In the confirmation window, click Block. That sender has now been blocked.
The sender will be unaware that their message has been blocked. If you want them to know, you can use a Gmail filter to trigger an automatic response.
How to Use Filters to Block Senders in Gmail
In Gmail, you can create a block list by creating a rule that directs all incoming email from any sender directly to the Trash folder. To configure Gmail to automatically send messages from specific senders to the Trash using a Gmail filter:
- In the Gmail search field, click the Show search options triangle ().
- Type the desired email address in the From field. To separate multiple addresses, use the vertical bar (|), which is typically located above the backslash on the keyboard.
- Click on Create filter.
- In the resulting search filter dialog box, click Delete it.
To archive and label messages rather than delete them, select Skip the Inbox (Archive it) and then Apply the label. Select Choose label to reveal a drop-down menu containing all available filters. Additionally, you can create a New Label.
- Click on Create filter.
Check Additionally, apply a filter to conversations that match to delete previously received messages.
- Any future messages from the specified sender(s) will now be automatically discarded in the Trash.
Alternatively, you can archive and categorize these messages for future review. If you receive spam from a mailer daemon, you can mark it as spam or junk.
Include a New Address Your Gmail Block List Rule Include a New Address
To add new senders to your block list, either edit an existing deletion filter and use the vertical bar (|) to add them, or create a new filter. To locate pre-existing filters, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Settings gear.
- Select View all configurations.
- Select the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab, then edit next to the filter you want to edit.