It is possible for the recipients to see the names and email addresses that you include in an email message when you use the To and Cc boxes to send it to a group of people using the To and Cc boxes. If you don’t want specific receivers to see the names or addresses of other recipients, you can use the Bcc option in iPhone Mail to prevent this from happening. There’s a problem with this because you still have to enter an address in the To field—and what if you want that address to remain private as well?
When using iOS 7 or later, you can learn how to use this strategy to ensure that all recipients of an email stay anonymous to one another.
- Create an entry in the Address Book for an unknown recipient
- Send an email to Unknown Recipients using the iPhone Mail application
Create an entry in the Address Book for an unknown recipient
An Undisclosed Recipients contact allows you to include a group of people in the To field of an email without disclosing any of the recipients’ personal data. To set it up, do the following:
- Opening the Contacts app on your iPhone and tapping the + button to create a new entry are the first steps.
- In the First name text box, type the word Undisclosed. In the Last name text box, type in the names of the recipients. When you’re finished, click the Done button.
- On the contact page, click the Edit button.
- Select Add Email from the drop-down menu and enter your email address. Finally, click Save Changes to apply your modifications.
- The contact information for your Undisclosed Recipients is now available for use by you.
Send an email to Unknown Recipients using the iPhone Mail application
Follow these instructions to send an email to an Undisclosed Recipient using the iPhone Mail feature:
- Begin by launching the Mail application and then selecting the New Message button.
- To the right of the To text field, click the Add icon.
- Using the Search field, go down to the Undisclosed Recipients section and select that entry.
- Select From, Cc/Bcc, and Cc/Bcc.
- Fill out the Bcc text box with the names of the email recipients.
- Finish writing the email message and then hit the Send button. The only email address that will be visible to recipients is the one that is provided in the Undisclosed Recipients contact, which is your email address in this case.